Thursday, June 30, 2011

Learning not to Take for granted...

A few days ago I got some awful news about a old friend of mine. His daughter was found unresponsive at daycare. They started CPR and airlifted to Emergency. They got her breathing but it was too late, and the following morning they waited until her Grandparents from Canada met them and they pulled the plug. Her twin sister died a little while after birth, so this is the second baby this family has had to bury. She was a little older them Charley and their first daughter is a little older then Frankie. Just thinking about it makes me cry, I cannot fathom how these poor people can get through this.
Earlier in this day I was having some , er, challenges with my Frankie. Seems Frankie thinks she gets whatever she wants whenever she wants. She was challenging her father the night before and he yelled at her, so this morning he asked me to see if I could find the roller skates that she wanted. So we were out at Zellars trying to find the said roller skates. After 6 this is MINE and I AM TAKING THIS, I told her she was being bad and told her that she may not get anything today including roller skates. This sparked the tantrum. Full on screaming, yelling, hitting. I pulled into a quiet isle where she shrieked "don't touch me!" which prompted 2 or three other shoppers to come and check make sure I wasn't strangling my child. I lifted her up, threw her over my shoulder and wheeled Charley into the elevator where an elderly type told her she was too cute to cry and that she deserved a present! (Thanks lady, that was a big help) I was furious and told her so, and told her not to talk to me until I calmed down. After we got home and I was ready to talk I started to explain that she doesn't get 'something' every time we go and she rolled her eyes at me and said "whatever Mom"!!
It took everything I had to not snap on the little monster. I sent her down to her room to play and I zoned out on the computer for a few minutes....that was when I saw the news about my friends daughter. His poor unresponsive baby.
I'll take my screaming, tantruming child any day.
It only takes a second to realize that an entire day of stress and anger was for nothing, nothing of any importance. Don't get me wrong, the kid isn't getting roller skates any time soon, but I will not waste anther moment being angry about it. She and her sister are alive and screaming-I'd better not complain about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment