Saturday, May 19, 2012

Mother eff'in mothers

I was struck the other day about how much families are alike. As I was crawling to bed due to my bad back, I was almost in tears and I am still not sure if it was pain or it was the realization that it has happened and I have turned into my mother. I was, as stated, crawling to bed and was appalled at how badly my carpets needed cleaning. All I wanted to do at that moment was get up vacuum, spot clean and shampoo my carpets. Never mind that I had to call Quag home to change Charley's diaper that day, never mind it took me 30 minutes just to get to the bathroom to pee, never mind my back was in such mind blowing pain that I actually cried-I wanted my carpets cleaned. When I suggested the activity to Quag he looked a look at me that I have seen my dad throw to my mom at more than one occasion, and it stuck me-I have turned into my mother. I remember thinking, as a kid, why does she want that (whatever that may be) done right now? Why can't she wait? Can't she see that I am busy (no doubt busy with TV). I get it now. She wanted it done right then, at that moment because tomorrow will be filled with a trillion other moments. Tomorrow we will have to pick up grapes, change diapers, clean up milk, sweep up coffee grinds, do laundry, wipe boogers, clean shit and match socks. There is not enough moments in the day to get everything done, so if at this moment you think of something-like shampooing the carpet-shampoo the eff'in carpet.
Along the same lines as that , Frankie has in turn, turned into me. In a casual conversation, Frankie asked me if her dad was going to yoga. I said no, She said are you going to yoga? I said no. I could see her getting agitated. I asked why she was asking and her response was "well one of you has to go to yoga so i could watch tv while you put Charley to bed"! It was 10:30 in the morning. She was already planning her TV watch experience at 10:30 in the morning and was getting visibly agitated when she thought she wouldn't get to watch tv later in the day.  I remember as a kid getting myself worked into knots when I knew there was something I wanted (or didn't) want to do and I tried all day to figure out a way to make it happen. Like getting 'sick' to stay home from school when I didn't finish my homework, the issue with this was I would intentional not do my homework, then spend all night wondering if i could be 'convincing' enough in the morning. Laying the groundwork the night before with a casual, my throat tickles, or my tummy is aching a bit around 5-6 pm. Frankie was laying the ground work at 10 am for her tv at 7pm! I had to laugh.So when Quag came home from work and stood up after dinner and stretched, Frankie says "Dad, you should go to yoga tonight". Cheeky Clever Monkey. 
Anyway, I guess it is true what they say, eventually, despite everything you say you will not do, everything you vow you will not become, we all eventually turn into our mothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment